What is included in the training package?
- OFF-LEAD Commands: Heel/auto sit, sit/stay, down/stay, placemat command, and the come command.
- Dog will complete all commands OFF LEASH with many different distractions (squirrels, bikes, people, cars, other dogs, kids, balls, toys, etc.)
- Behavioral Training: Assessment and correction of problem areas such as digging, counter surfing, jumping, barking, scratching, etc.
- Socialization with up to 15+ dogs during stay (residency program)
- 2 hour Consultation and training of owners/family at end of stay
- Follow Up Session- We are happy to meet with you to clarify specific commands or review training! We want you to be 100% confident in any situation with your pup after the training is complete. These are free for the first year after training.
- Fits your schedule
- Takes into consideration the individuality of your dog, his/her personality, past and present behavior, and aptitude for learning
- Corrects irritating behaviors
- Commands such as Heel/Auto-sit, Stay, Down, and Place Mat begin at 4-5 months
- Starts with On-Lead and works up to off-leash, including the "come" command
- Addresses common behavioral issues
- Effectively begin communicating with your dog
- Become your dog's leader
- Begin a rewarding relationship with your dog
- Give your dog a "job" to stimulate his/her mind
- Katie Fern is an experienced and certified trainer as a graduate from K-9 Learning Academy
- She works with dogs of all different sizes and breeds
- Dogs are trained with and without distractions to maximize obedience in any situation
- At the end of the training program, Katie will work with you and your family to teach you how to become the leader of the pack!
How long will the training take?
The short answer: About five-six weeks. The length of stay of the residency programs depends on a few factors. During the drop off we always give each dog as much time as needed for him or her to get acclimated to their new surroundings. No training happens on drop off day because they are usually so focused on playing with the other dogs and getting used to everything. The pickup date is also not counted because we do an entire training session (usually 2 hours) with you to work on all commands. They are usually SO tired by the end of this that they wouldn't be able to focus on any other training (it really tires them out mentally). Also, during this time the weather is can be unpredictable - when it rains we are unable to set up distractions outside.Weather is a variable as well, dogs cannot be worked outside if it is too hot, rainy or extremely cold. Of course, the entire stay is included in the original package price - we do not charge extra for any days added on the program due to outstanding circumstances. My priority is to get each dog where they need to be before going home; quality, safety and completion are paramount.
*Formal Obedience begins at 5 Months*
We strongly encourage clients to reserve a spot early as we fill very quickly
Commands Taught During Training:
(on and off-lead)
Heel/Auto sit - Your dog will walk right next to you and whenever you stop, your dog will sit without a command.
Sit - Once your dog is in a sit, they will stay until released regardless of any distractions that are present.
Place Mat Command - The "Place Mat" command is useful in situations when you want your dog to be polite and not demanding attention. This "crate without walls" is portable - use this command anywhere! Feel confident taking your dog to your kids' soccer games, picnics, or family gatherings. This command is also great to use during dinner time! He/she will know how to go to "place" and stay there until released by you. (You will provide the placemat for this command)
The Come Command - Having a reliable "come" command gives you the sense of security that no matter what distractions are going on, your dog will come to you when called. The come command teaches your dog to come to you immediately and sit/lay by your side until you either give them another command or release them. This command is extremely important for the safety of your dog and we will teach this command in very high level distractions so that you feel 100% confident in any situation.